RE: TYPE29

Dear Fardin,

Type 29 prints its results to the TRNSYS Listing file, this is why it does
not have any outputs. You are right that there is no example using this Type
in the TRNSYS distribution. I attached a simple example to this email. I
hope it will be useful for you and other TRNSYS users.

The example uses a simple solar domestic hot water system (Solar Collector,
Tank, pump and controller + a few utility components). The collector area is
set by an equation (CArea) in the "SystemPar" equation block so it is easy
to modify (other parameters, e.g. the maxmum flowrate of the pump, are
updated automatically).

Type 29 uses 3 inputs:
1. Energy cost (Auxiliary + parasitic) for
   the solar system
2. Energy cost for the reference system
3. Total Energy load

These 3 variables are calculated using an integrator and equations to set
the price of energy. The rates used in the example are 7.5$/GJ for heat
(e.g. gas)and 25$/GJ for electricity. Note that the heat costs should
include the boiler efficiency (set to 0.9 in the example).

Type 29 parameters are described in the IISiBat proforma. Please note that
the costs I used already include a (high!) subsidy for solar systems and may
not be realistic.

Please refer to the TRNSYS manual for further details. I also strongly
recommend you to read one of the following references to understand Type29
parameters and outputs:
- Chapter 11 in "Solar Engineering of Thermal
  Processes" (Duffie and Beckman),
  Wiley Interscience, ISBN 0-471-51056-4
- Brandemuehl M.J. and Beckman W.A.,
  "Economic evaluation and optimization of
  solar heating systems",
  Solar Energy vol. 23, pp1-10, 1979.

Regards,

Michaël Kummert

Michaël Kummert

Solar Energy Laboratory - University of Wisconsin-Madison
1303 Engr Res Bldg, 1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Tel: +1 (608) 263-1589
Fax: +1 (608) 262-8464
E-mail: kummert@engr.wisc.edu