Re: underground structures

At 12:01 PM 3/9/2004 +0000, you wrote:

certainly the modeling assumption that you have described is more detailed of mine. However I'm using type501ground temperature model; it works satisfactoryly if I assume an amplitude of the surface temperature function throughout the year (parameter 3) of 8,8°C (disequal to the amplitude of the annual air temperature for the given location (16,2°C in Palermo); I accept this assumpion only for the mean surface temperature (parameter 1), in which case TRNSYS reference manual suggests to use the average annual air temperature (18,4°C)).

The type 501 model uses the mean surface temperature, amplitude and phase delay parameters to calculate the temperature of undisturbed soil at any depth below the surface.  The key term here is undisturbed - meaning in this case the soil is not subject to heat flows from structures or other nearby items.  In your case you have a buried structure which will be thermally communicating with the soil.  By using only the Type 501 model you will be grossly over-predicting the heat losses from the structure after a few years as the soil around the structure heats up over time (and hence your losses decrease).  The new ground models account for the this heat build up and would provide a much better estimate for your simulations.

Jeff Thornton
TESS