Re: [TRNSYS-users] Re:TRNSYS-users digest, Vol 1 #85 - 5 msgs

Vito,
can anyone help me with the shade of a vertical field of PV panels?
The field is tilted of 90 degrees while each collector is tilted of 30 degrees both in the direction of the array azimuth.
There's a problem, if the field is tilted of 90 degrees the type 30 doesn't work and the manual is not helpful.

If I understand correctly your PV modules "hang" from a vertical wall and have a tilt angle of 30 degrees from the horizontal (70 degrees from the wall).
Type 30 is not intended for such configurations, the shading effect is completely different than it is for a large field of collectors on a flat or slightly tilted field.
In your case, I suggest that you use Type34 to model an overhang that has the same dimensions as the horizontal projection of one module. If you select the dimensions and position of the overhang carefully, I believe you can obtain the same shading effect as the one of one module over the one immediately under it. You would then have to apply that shading to the appropriate number of rows in your simulation.

Please note that what Dave said about PV shading still applies: Type 34 will calculate a global shading fraction for the module area, which is appropriate for windows or thermal collectors but not for PV modules where the shading effect depends on the shading on each individual cell and the electrical connections within in the module.

I hope this helps, Michaël Kummert

thenk you. Vito

Michaël Kummert

Solar Energy Laboratory - University of Wisconsin-Madison
1303 Engr Res Bldg, 1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Tel: +1 (608) 263-1589
Fax: +1 (608) 262-8464
E-mail: kummert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx