Re: [TRNSYS-users] solar time X local time

Pablo,

I am using hourly weather data generated by the Meteonorm program. As far as I know, this data is given at intervals of SOLAR TIME.
(Can anybody in this list confirm this information ?)
If I use this Meteonorm data file, obviously the Type 56 outputs will also be at intervals of Solar Time. But the schedules in Prebid are defined using the LOCAL TIME. I also need the simulation results in LOCAL TIME.

I believe that Meteonorm uses the time reference specified by the file format you select when exporting data (importing data into Meteonorm is another problem). E.g. if you export to TMY2 files (which is the recommended way in TRNSYS 16), the file will be created in local standard time. I am not sure about older versions of Meteonorm and different file formats, but this is the case for Meteonorm V5.0 and TMY2 export format.

As always, it is easy to check which time reference is used in a data file by plotting the global solar radiation from the file versus the extraterrestrial horizontal radiation from Type 16 or Type 109. Just by looking at both curves, you can easily spot any time shift. You can configure Type 16 so it assumes the data is in solar time or not and compare both results.

I hope this helps,

Michaël Kummert

Michaël Kummert

Solar Energy Laboratory - University of Wisconsin-Madison
1303 Engr Res Bldg, 1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Tel: +1 (608) 263-1589
Fax: +1 (608) 262-8464
E-mail: kummert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx