Re: writing your own component

Ruut Brandsma wrote:

Dear reader,

I plan to make a greenhouse component in Trnsys. I studied chapter 2 and 3
of the reference manual and I also studied the description of type 61
(calling external DLL). Could you tell me what the disadvantages are of
calling an external DLL instead of making a component with Fortran.

With kind regards,

Dear Ruut,

Using a DLL is rather considered as an advantage, in that you can
use other programming languages than FORTRAN (C, C++, ...
anything that can produce a DLL).

The only disadvantage I see in type 61 is that it is currently limited
to one TYPE. If you want to make more than one component,
you'd have to use a parameter to indicate a sort of 'sub-type'
(and then use it in your program to decide which function to
call).

TRNSYS 16 will be even more flexible as far as the DLL
architecture is concerned, since it will allow as many DLLs
as you want simultaneously, containing as many types as
you wish each... So I'd say, DLL is the future ... (2004 ?).

Werner
--
  /    \____ Werner Keilholz, Software Development Group Leader
  \____/     CSTB Sophia Antipolis, SAIL

   Don't miss the 5th European and French TRNSYS meeting
   http://software.cstb.fr/events/5th_TRNSYS_meeting.pdf