RE: Ground temperature

Dear Michaël

Thank you for the solutions you proposed.

At present, I’m taking a fixed ground temperature, with a very small "convection" heat transfer coefficient (0.002 kJ/h.m2). My idea is that the ground will be in equilibrium with the floor temperature, in that way, there is not a very important heat exchange, that why I’m taking a little H back.

In the other hand, I think that the Kusuda equation is not applicable here, because it was set to the ground, which is not under a building.

The third solution may be used since we add the finite difference model to the deck, to take in account the boundary conditions given by the heat flux into the building. This makes the simulation very hard and time consuming.

What do you think about this?

Best regards.

Michaël_Kummert <kummert@engr.wisc.edu> wrote:
Dear Helmi,

If the floor of your building is in direct contact with the ground, you
should use a "boundary" condition. The ground temperature can be
approximated in different ways, with an increasing level of complexity: - use a constant value
- use a typical profile Tground=f(time,depth) (e.g. Kusuda equation)
- Use a finite difference model (e.g. Lund-DST model)

The wall can also include a fictitious layer of ground (although you will
quickly run into the transfer function limitation for very thick walls, in
which case you can use a fictitious zone with an infinitely small
volume...).
The "convection" heat transfer coefficient should be infinite since there is
direct contact between the ground and the wall. For historical reasons, the
way to specify a very high convection coefficient for "boundary" walls in
Prebid / Type56 is to us! e a very small value. It is somewhat confusing but
it is clearly mentioned when you set that coefficient in Prebid.

I hope this helps,

Michaël Kummert

Michaël Kummert

Solar Energy Laboratory - University of Wisconsin-Madison
1303 Engr Res Bldg, 1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Tel: +1 (608) 263-1589
Fax: +1 (608) 262-8464
E-mail: kummert@engr.wisc.edu