Re: [TRNSYS-users] Window with shading

Christian,

i have to do an simulation of an multizone building with windows, which have an internal shading device between the inner and outer pane of the glazing. But i dont have any idea how to deal with that. I don't think that the opportunities that Prebid offers in order to create an internal or external shading are sufficent for that kind of window! The only idea i have is to use the programm window. But how can i define the internal shading device between the panes? What are the properties in this case? Does anyone have an idea? Thank you in advance!

I don't think WINDOW (4 or 5) allows you to define shading devices.
My understanding is that the WIS program (www.windat.org) allows to model such configurations, but it is still under development and there is no standardized way of using its output in TRNSYS.

Here are a few other ideas on how you could approach the problem (Please take them for what they are worth, i.e. not more than 2 cents ;-)

- You could cheat on the absorptance of 2 panes to get the desired
  behavior in some "standard" steady-state conditions, but this requires
  a good knowledge of WINDOW and it is only an approximation.

- Find an upper and lower bound of the system's performance by placing
  the shading inside and outside (resp. minimum and maximum cooling load
  reduction)

- Use a fictitious zone with two single-glazed windows. This is probably
  not a very good idea, you would have to run many checks to make sure
  the thermal and optical behavior makes sense if you go for that
  solution...

I hope this helps (and I hope other TRNSYS users will comment on this),

Michaël Kummert

Michaël Kummert

Solar Energy Laboratory - University of Wisconsin-Madison
1303 Engr Res Bldg, 1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Tel: +1 (608) 263-1589
Fax: +1 (608) 262-8464
E-mail: kummert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx