Re: [TRNSYS-users] Type 16 with DST

KH,
I'm using TYPE 16 Radiation processor to calculate solar radiation on horizontal and vertical surfaces.
I think total radiation on the west and east surface should be symmetric but it is not. So I guess there could be a problem handling the parameters for the Type 16 in case of DST is employed. How can I handle it when the DST is applied?
If the location is on Daylight saving time, do I submit 15 for the SHFT like "L_st-L_loc-15" instead of "L_st-L_loc"?

Most of the weather files covering one year are recorded in (local) winter time or in solar time for obvious reasons.
In case you think your file is using local summer time (Daylight Savings Time), you can change the "shift" parameter in Type 16. If the file is DST it uses a local standard meridian that is 15 degrees "1-h ahead" of the "winter" standard meridian (and remember that "1-h ahead" means -15 deg in TRNSYS).

Example: Madison, WI
Longitude = 89.33 deg West, +89.33 for TRNSYS
Madison is in the Central Standard Time (CST) time zone, i.e. UTC-6 so LST = 6*15 = 90 deg
In summer, Madison uses CDT (Central Daylight Savings Time), i.e. UTC-5 so LST = 5*15 = 75 deg

Thus for a standard weather file in local (winter) time, such as the US TMY2 data, SHIFT = 90-89.33 = 0.66 deg

For a file that would have been recorded in Daylight Savings local time, SHIFT = 75-89.33 = -14.33 deg

If you have such "synchronization" problems, I would (as always) suggest that you plot the extraterrestrial radiation computed by TRNSYS versus the measured values to see if sunrise/sunset match the data (a 1-h shift will immediately show even on a short period of time).

Kind regards,

Michaël Kummert

Michaël Kummert

Solar Energy Laboratory - University of Wisconsin-Madison
1303 Engr Res Bldg, 1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Tel: +1 (608) 263-1589
Fax: +1 (608) 262-8464
E-mail: kummert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx