Re: Question about Solar Radiation Processor.

Dear Mr Jong,

I think you could have a look to hourly values (or values for the time step
of your simulation). Sometimes, if the measured horizontal radiation  is too
high just after sunrise or just before sunset, it can give huge errors on
the computed radiation for tilted surfaces. And I guess the behaviour of
different models for tilted surface radiation can be very different in these
"extreme" situations.
But I must say the numbers you got for daily sum are impressive!

Furthermore, there is a strange point in TYPE 16.
If I am right, if the sunrise/sunset occurs during a time step, the outputs
of TYPE 16 give average radiation on the period for which the sun is up. In
this case, the integrated radiation for one day is not exact.
I give a short example :

Let's say the sunrise happens at 8:30 and your simulation time step is 1h.
Between 8h and 8:30,  radiation is 0
Between 8:30 and 9:00, say the average radiation is 50 kJ/h/m2

Then, if I am right, the output of TYPE 16 for the time step between 8:00
and 9:00 will be 50.
In my opinion, it should be 25 (the real average on 1h)

This, combined with an error on measured radiation which is often important
when the sun altitude  is low, could lead to strange results for these
periods.
But normally, these errors have a small influence on daily values (as far as
I know!)

I would be happy to have your (and "TRNSYS people") comments about this.

Michael Kummert

Michakl Kummert

Fondation Universitaire Luxembourgeoise

Avenue de Longwy, 185