RE: Collector Arrays

Dear Juan,

You are right, you should simulate solar collectors connected in parallel as
one big collector.

Assuming that you want to simulate the following configuration:
- Array of 100 collectors
- Collectors arranged in 10 parallel strings
  of 10 series connected modules
- Each module is 2 m2

You should enter the following parameters:
- Collector area (Total): 200 m2
- Collector in series: 10

You can use Type 30 to take into account the fact that collectors shade one
another. Simply connect the "total shaded radiation" output of Type 30to the
"incident radiation" input of Type 1.

Concerning the deviation from real performance, I think that the most
important simplifications are:
- You neglect all pipes between collectors
  (thermal losses)
- You assume the flowrate is equal in each
  series string of collector
- You neglect shading from other objects than
  the collector themselves
- Type 1 implements a steady-state model of
  the collectors, i.e. you neglect the thermal
  mass of the collectors and piping

You should have a good accuracy if these hypotheses are reasonably valid for
your system. It is usually the case for well-designed systems if you look at
the hourly energy flows (This is for the collectors only, you will have to
simulate the rest of the system as well!)

I hope this helps,

Michaël Kummert

Michaël Kummert

Solar Energy Laboratory - University of Wisconsin-Madison
1303 Engr Res Bldg, 1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Tel: +1 (608) 263-1589
Fax: +1 (608) 262-8464
E-mail: kummert@engr.wisc.edu (*****NEW*****)