RE: TRNSYS and Infra Red radiators

Dear Maurice,

Unfortunately, none of the standard TRNSYS solar collector models separates longwave radiation losses from convective losses.
A first approximation could be to use the global heat loss coefficient (UL) with a fictitious ambient temperature which is a weighted average between air temperature and sky temperature.

Even if you would find suitable weighting factors, you would still have to take into account wind speed since I assume your "collector" is unglazed. Type72 could make a good basis for a first-approach: it allows you to specify a full performance map with 3 independent variables (Solar radiation, DT/G and wind speed). Please note, however, that Type73 is currently NOT able to simulate the behavior of a solar collector with a negative useful gain. So do not use it "as is" for your application.

Some references on radiative losses from solar collectors:

- Summers, D. A. (1995) "Thermal Simulation and Economic Assessment of Unglazed Transpired Collector Systems".
  M.S. Thesis at the SEL. Available on the web: http://sel.me.wisc.edu/Publications/Theses/theses2.html
  (not directly applicable to your case but includes a discussion of IR losses)

- The recent EN standard on solar collectors (EN 12975-2) includes some recommandations on simulation of IR losses (e.g. section 6.2.4.8.1).

Regards,

Michaël

Michaël Kummert

Solar Energy Laboratory - University of Wisconsin-Madison
1303 Engr Res Bldg, 1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Tel: +1 (608) 263-1589
Fax: +1 (608) 262-8464
E-mail: kummert@engr.wisc.edu