Re: 'Failed to save document' error

Jade,

The 'failed to save document' message is a very generic one and can have
many
reasons. Several situations causing this problems have been fixed in
IISiBat, so you should first be sure to use the latest version.

One situation causing corrupt projects which is hard to detect under
recent Windows releases is lack of GUI resources. The level of these
resources cannot be easily displayed with standard tools delivered by
Microsoft. If you suspect this as a potential source of recurring
problems in your environment, you may try to reduce the complexity of
the data folder (usually \trnsys15\IISiBat3\Data) by removing unused
branches. The creation of the Direct Acess menu can indeed consume
considerable amounts of resources. The problem usually appears with
certain configurations:
1. few resources in the first place (old machines, bad configuration, …)
or
2. huge resource usage
a) many resource-consuming programs running at the same time – Netscape
and Coral Draw have been identified as potential severe competitors for
this kind of resource.).
b) installing all available optional libraries available (there’s quite
a bunch now…), making copies and keep the entire tree twice, etc.

A faster way to save these recourses is to switch off the Direct Access
Menu (under File/Settings -> Project Tab, uncheck ‘Direct Access Menu’).
Strangely the Direct Access Tree View consumes much less resources
(because it allocates them dynamically) and need not be switched of.

To recover a 'lost' project (if you don't have a N-1 version of your
.tpf File which still loads ...), you can try to use File/Import TRNSYS
input file.
This works if you have run the simulation at least once, since then you
have a working deck. Be sure to check if cycles are configured correctly
after the import.

Note that once a project is corrupt, you should not use (copy, ...) the
tpf file any more.

If none of this helps, feel free to provide us with more information to
solve any specific problem you may encounter.

Sincerely,

Werner

--
  /    \____ Werner Keilholz, Software Development Group Leader
  \____/     CSTB Sophia Antipolis, SAIL

  "If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called
   research, would it?"- Albert Einstein