Re: Doors

Eduardo,

Can anyone suggest me which is the best way to model an "INTERZONE" DOOR in trnsys: 1) user-defined adjacent wall - made of wood, for example; or 2) user-defined window - again, made of wood, etc...
In most cases, the solar radiation transmitted through a door (because it has a window or because it's open) can be safely neglected, so I have seen many users choosing to model doors as adjacent walls.

If you want to take into account the solar radiation transmitted through that window, you have to use an adjacent window. This will also allow you to model a door that is sometimes open (the Window ID in Type 56 can be a time-varying input). But the window model in Type 56 does not have any thermal mass.

So I think that you have to ask yourself: "do I want to keep the thermal mass of the door, or do I want to take into account some transmitted solar radiation?". And I would think that in most cases your choice will hardly have an effect on the simulation.

Kind regards,

Michaël Kummert

PS: Note that in both cases you have to define the airflow across the door using "COUPLING" mass flowrates calculated outside Type 56. Even if you use the "open window" included in the German window library, Type 56 does not calculate any airflow internally.

Michaël Kummert

Solar Energy Laboratory - University of Wisconsin-Madison
1303 Engr Res Bldg, 1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Tel: +1 (608) 263-1589
Fax: +1 (608) 262-8464
E-mail: kummert@engr.wisc.edu