Re: Type 90

Jhunko,

How do I import "power data curve" as an external file for wind turbine Type 90?
Type 90 is not very user-friendly, and the "0" default value for the logical unit is only one example.

I made a simple example that just redraws the power curve of 4 wind turbines (see attachment). The data is read by Type 90 in ".pwr" files, which are just text files describing the power output of each turbine (the .pwr extension is just a convention).

The *.pwr files in the attachment include comments that explain what data should be in there. Hopefully you will be able to create other .pwr files for Type 90 using your own data.

Please note the following peculiarities about Type90:
- Pay attention to the formatting of the input file (see the comments).
In particular Type90 will not read correctly the control mode if you
change the number of spaces between Ctl_mode and the character that
defines the mode (S, P or V)
- The Power output of Type 90 is multiplied by the time step (actually
making it an energy output). I can't see any good reason to do that
but we can't really change it for backwards compatibility reasons. The
attached example copes with that by using an equation to make sure the
power output is in kW for any time step.
- The .pwr file includes lines for units. Those lines are actually
ignored by Type 90. You can use any consistent unit system but I
strongly recommend to use m, m/s and kW. No need to add one source
of confusion...

Kind regards,

Michaël Kummert

Michaël Kummert

Solar Energy Laboratory - University of Wisconsin-Madison
1303 Engr Res Bldg, 1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Tel: +1 (608) 263-1589
Fax: +1 (608) 262-8464
E-mail: kummert@engr.wisc.edu