Re: Controller TYPE2b

Alberto,

I have tryed your advices in the system but with only one controller to
limit the error.
Working with one controller it get "stuck", although it get rid of all
oscillations using a small timestep (0.02h).
How much sorter has to be a timestep than the time constant of my system to
get rid of all the oscillations?
How could I know and change the time constant of my system?

You cannot change the time constant of your real system without changing your system... However, if you neglected some thermal capacitance in the model (e.g. if you did not model pipes), adding it back can increase the "simulated time constant".
As I said before, oscillations in an ON/OFF controller does not alwys indicate that your results are not good, so you do not HAVE to reduce the time step until they go away.

I didn´t understand "the tank has enough inercia to de-couple the
controllers" (sorry, I am an inexpert)

I just meant that if you would have a very small tank modelled with one node only, setting the collector pump on or off would have an instantaneous effect on the tank temperature, hence on the on/off signal of the secondary loop. And vice-versa. But I assume that in your case turning one of the pumps on or off has a relatively small effect on the tank temperatures, so that it does not have an immediate effect on the second controller (the time step will have an influence again)

On the other hand, I was checking the outputs and TRACE and a lot of times
the controller don´t work well, and most of them are in the ON criteria. In
adiction, sometimes the collector outlet temperature changes to a too much
high value, for example from 30 to 70ºC instead the control output is OFF
and the diference with tank temperature is bigger then the Upper input
temperature (Monitoring =100ºC).
It could be because the pump is OFF and the fluid temperature in the
collector increases but I think it is too much.

I am not sure I understand you correctly. Usually the monitoring temperature is the tank temp., not the collector temp. This may explain some of your oscillations. also, it is normal that the collector temperature increases a lot if the pump is switched off when the sun is shining. Most solar collectors have stagnation temperatures well above 100°C.
Kind regards,

Michaël Kummert

Michaël Kummert

Solar Energy Laboratory - University of Wisconsin-Madison
1303 Engr Res Bldg, 1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Tel: +1 (608) 263-1589
Fax: +1 (608) 262-8464
E-mail: kummert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx