Data table as input

I am trying to read in data from a table to enter it into a newly
written component. How can I organise it in a way that TRNSYS only reads

in this table once as it is not needed for transient simulation and
therefore time independent (with the data, dependend on the
user-specified input, a number is calculated once at the beginning of
the simulation and not changed after...). The table is quite big.
Subroutine DATA, described in the manual, is not quite clear to me. It
says that DATA interpolates for y values given X values, but the way it
functions doesn't become clear even after studying Type1 and others.
Other good examples which make use of this subroutine in a steady-state
situation? Can its restriction according to the number of independent
variables be overcome?
Help in this regard is very much appreciated.

Holger