Re: PRESIM or IISiBat ?

At 05:23 PM 3/24/01 +0100, you wrote:

>   Dear  TRNSYS Users, I  used TRNSYS v. 13 couple years ago during my
>university studies. I just think  about buying a copy of a new version (v.
>15). I have learned that TRNSYS today  is dramatically different that the
>version I used in the past. The main question  I would like to ask is about
>efficiency and comparison of two optional  interfaces: PRESIM and IISiBat.
>It would great if you would help me to  understand what to choose and why?
>Thank  you for your time.  Regards, Grzegorz  Moorthi

You have probably just asked one of the more common questions about TRNSYS
in the past few years.  While both programs are excellent front-ends to
TRNSYS, the recent sales trends from the TRNSYS community have pointed
overwhelmingly to IISiBat as the more popular front-end of the two.

My personal preference is IISiBat and I have a long history of using
TRNSYS.  Until the new IISiBat arrived (version 3), I refused to use a
front-end as I could write the input file quicker myself than I could by
using a front-end.  However my view has changed with the new version of
IISiBat and I now use the front-end on a daily basis.  Unlike most
front-ends that reside over a very flexible engine, IISiBat is able to
handle ALL of the complexities that TRNSYS imposes and does not limit the
user to a subset of the more common program features.

TRNSYS is very different today than the version you remember from 10 years
ago.  The front-ends have dramatically expanded the ease of use of the
program.  With new component libraries available and lots of new utility
programs on the way, plus the great new modifications to the building
model, you'll find lots of changes from the older version.

For more information on PRESIM or IISiBat, check out the web page of the
Solar Energy Lab at the University of Wisconsin:

sel.me.wisc.edu

or check out the pages of your local TRNSYS distributor for more information.

I hope I have helped.  If you have specific questions please do not
hesitate to send me an e-mail.

With kindest regards,

Jeff Thornton
TRNSYS Coordinator