RE: Convective loop in passive solar building

Dear Trnsys users,

This question was answered by two emails to the Bldg-Sim mailing list
(http://www.gard.com/ml/bldg-sim.htm)
In case some of you have not subscribed to this email list but are
interested in the answer, here is a copy-paste:

>>From Harvey Bryan [Harvey.Bryan@asu.edu]

Nick Baker developed a simplified method (called the LM Method) for sizing
atria in mid-size buildings. His method is presented in his book "Energy and
Environment in Architecture: A Technical Design Guide," E & FN SPON, 2000.

>>From I.G. Theaker [igt@integral-design-engineering.ca]:

By "non numerical" I assume you mean not computer-simulated? I'd say it's
impossible to do any reasonable airflow design without some
number-crunching....

The venerable Duffie & Beckman's chapter 14 offers some guidance on "Trombe
wall" type collector design:
"Solar Energy Thermal Processes" (ISBN: 0-471-22371-9)

For more detailed aid with the calcs, and natural ventilation/cooling in
general, check out Baruch Givoni's books:
"Climate Considerations in Building and Urban Design" (ISBN: 0-471-29177-3)
"Passive and Low Energy Cooling of Buildings" (sorry, no ISBN; my copy was
lent & not returned - gnashing of teeth....)

"Man, Climate and Architecture, 2nd Edition" (ISBN: 0-85334-108-7)
Givoni has done decades of empirical research on full scale building
airflows at the University of Haifa; and developing simulation routines at
Haifa and UCLA. *Excellent* texts, both non-numeric (in the form of clear,
simple graphics) and with the numbers/equations.

Another classic:
G. Z. Brown, et al
"Sun, Wind & Light: Architectural Design Strategies, 2nd Edition" (ISBN:
0-471-34877-5)

Be aware: at residential scales, convection-driven ("stack-effect") air
pressures are usually much smaller than wind-induced air pressures; so you
must have a *very* airtight building to ensure it operates as you intend.
Better to design for combined wind-stack airflows.

Michael Kummert

Solar Energy Laboratory - University of Wisconsin-Madison
1303 Engr Res Bldg
1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Phone: +1 (608) 263-1589