Re: has anyone used the type 7 (absorption air conditioner type)?

Hi Windy,

i'm just waiting for an e-mail from an collegue in Hamburg dealing with data

about the Tivoli Storage Manager TSM (IBM/Tivoli) so i saw your question

about the TYPE7 coefficients ...

You have luck that i belong to that people, who can not put away

things from former times.

Please have a look to the work of Jeffrey Clay Blinn (master of Science, Chem.Eng.)

in 1979 at the Uni Wisconsin-Madison powered by the Profs JackDuffie and JohnWMitchell:

Simulation of solar absorption air conditioning, I think this is the original work which

leads to the code of type7.

According to your question about generating the coefficients, here is the answer:

The coefficients aij and bij were obtained by fitting the curves of technical datasheets

for CAPY (steady state capacity of ARKLA WF-36 absorption chiller) and COP (coefficient

of performance of ARKLA WF-36 absorption chiller):

f1(Tg, Tc) = (Rated chiller capacity) * CAPY(Tg, Tc) with

CAPY(Tg, Tc) = a11 + a12*Tc + a13*Tc^2 +

(a21 + a22*Tc + a23*Tc^2) * Tg +

(a31 + a32*Tc + a33*Tc^2) * Tg^2

f2(Tg, Tc) = f1(Tg, Tc) / COP(Tg, Tc)

COP(Tg, Tc) = b11 + b12*Tc + b13*Tc^2 +

(b21 + b22*Tc + b23*Tc^2) * Tg +

(b31 + b32*Tc + b33*Tc^2 ) * Tg^2

Performance data in the data sheets shown as functions of Thw and Tc were converted prior to

functions of  Tg and Tc using

Tg,stst = 0.83*Thw + 0.17*Tc and

Thw = (Tg,stst - 0.17Tc) / 0.83, respectively

Tg generator temperature

Tc condensing water inlet

Thw firing water inlet temperature

The TRNSYS parameter called KAPY controls which pair of coefficients CAPY and COP has been

used during the simulation runtime.

Hope this will help you programming your own chiller.

Best regards

Dr.Karl-Christian Rauch

SAP R/3 Application-Developer

Consultant Tivoli