RE: U-shape building

Dear Henrik,

To obtain a first approximation of the shading due to the building wings,
you could just define one orientation in Prebid and compute the solar
radiation on that orientation using Type 34. You can then use that
orientation for all walls and windows of the same façade. This would of
course assume that you can consider the whole façade as one homogeneous
surface.

If you need more accurate results, you will have to define one orientation
(and use one Type 34) per window or per piece of wall that needs to be
considered independently. However, you still don't need to have one
orientation per storey. It is likely that you will also need to split the
wall along the horizontal axis to account for different shading levels
during the day (morning-afternoon).

Please also note that SimCad and Type68 offer an automatic way to compute
shading of windows due to the building structure. Type 68 can also be used
without SimCad, but in this case you have to input all the data by hand and
Type 34 is probably more interesting for simple geometric configurations.

Regards,

Michaël Kummert

Michaël Kummert

Solar Energy Laboratory - University of Wisconsin-Madison
1303 Engr Res Bldg, 1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Tel: +1 (608) 263-1589
Fax: +1 (608) 262-8464
E-mail: kummert@engr.wisc.edu (*****NEW*****)