Re: trnsys 15 question....

Dear Brad,

I am in the process of moving a number of dck files from trnsys version 14.2 to version 15.
I assume your decks use non-standard Types, otherwise you do not need to recompile anything.

Of course, with 15, I know that Microsoft Powerstation is not the supported compiler, and am reminded of this when I go to rebuild and get the errors which relate to the compiler not being able to compile exec.for along with another source file I can't remember right now. I know the errors are caused because power station does not (to the best of my knowledge) support the use of the "use dfwin" and "use dflib" calls made in the fortran code. Since these modules (dfwin and dflib) are not available in powerstation 4, obviously i can't rebuild 15 with my new types, and I know that if i drag over the .obj files from 14.2 i will lose the functionality of 15, which is of course the whole point of the up grade anyways.
You will not loose "the" functionality of TRNSYS 15 but unfortunately you will have to give up "some" functionality in TRNSYS 15 to be able to use MS Powerstation 4. Please take a look at our website for more details on what you will have to give up (http://sel.me.wisc.edu/trnsys , go to "Fortran info" and then "Powerstation 4")

1) is there a way to "trick" the powerstation compiler into handling the "use module" commands in a way that will allow me to maintain the functionality of 15?
This goes beyond my knowledge of Fortran and compilers... I don't think it is possible, but you may want to try some "pure Fortran" forums.

2) is there a demo version of Compaq's compilers (or the other supported / recommended compiler whose name escapes me right now) that you people know about? I have not found one anywhere on the net... perhaps my google-ing isn't what it once was..
3) are there other freeware/demo compilers that people know of that I can use to compile my 2 fortran files which support these unsupported modules?
Unfortunately there is no demo version of Compaq Visual Fortran (CVF). The Intel Fortran compiler and CVF will merge into "Intel Visual Fortran" in a near future. That compiler is supposed to be compatible with the current CVF. Intel usually makes demo versions of its compilers available, but the release date is not known yet. For more details:
http://developer.intel.com/software/products/compilers/f60/status_update.htm

Best regards,

Michaël Kummert

Michaël Kummert

Solar Energy Laboratory - University of Wisconsin-Madison
1303 Engr Res Bldg, 1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Tel: +1 (608) 263-1589
Fax: +1 (608) 262-8464
E-mail: kummert@engr.wisc.edu