RE: Controler - old strategy - on off to early

Arko,

A short answer is: You should not use Type 2 without a deadband (what you
did by choosing Input5=Input6=0).
In your case, choosing a reasonably large deadband should do the job, e.g:
dTHigh (Input 5) = +2
dTLow  (Input 6) = -2
You probably did not try negative values for Input 6. Setting dTLow equal to
-2 means that the controller should switch OFF when (Th-Tlow), i.e.
(Tset-Tzone) is lower than -2, i.e. when the zone temperature is 2°C higher
than the setpoint.

A more technical explanation:

Type 2 uses TRNSYS iterations to calculate the control signal. If the
building walls are cold, you can end up with the controller oscillating
around a "wrong" value with your settings. You can easily understand what's
happening using the "TRACE" feature (right-click on a component, select "Add
TRACE" and look to the listing file after running the simulation).

Here is an example of what you could end-up with (It assumes Type 56 is
before Type 2 in the deck file and Nstick=3, but any odd value would give
the same results):

Time | Iter | Tzone | On/Off
   1 |    0 |  20.3 |   1
   1 |    1 |  24.9 |   1
 --- Convergence ----------------
   2 |    0 |  26.7 |   0
   2 |    1 |  23.3 |   1
   2 |    2 |  26.7 |   0
   2 |    3 |  23.3 |   0 (Nstick)
--- Convergence -----------------
   3 |    0 |  20.0 |   1
   3 |    1 |  24.7 |   1
--- Convergence -----------------
   4 |    0 |  26.9 |   0
   4 |    1 |  23.7 |   1
   4 |    2 |  26.7 |   0
   4 |    3 |  23.7 |   0 (Nstick)
--- Convergence -----------------
   5 |    0 |  20.2 |   1
   5 |    1 |  24.8 |   1
--- Convergence -----------------
   6 |    0 |  27.0 |   0
   6 |    1 |  24.7 |   1
   6 |    2 |  27.0 |   0
   6 |    3 |  24.0 |   0 (Nstick)
... Etc...

The end-of-timestep values for the zone temperature will be:
24.9 - 23.3 - 24.7 - 23.7 - 24.8 - 24.0, etc.
So the zone temperature does not reach 26°C
Note however that if you maintain steady-state inputs for the Type 56, you
will eventually reach the setpoint and even overshoot it.

Some other thoughts:

- Even without deadband, you could force the
  controller to oscillate around the right value by
  using the value of Tzone at the last time step and
  not the value at current time step. You can do that
  by inserting a Type 93 between Type 56 and Type 2.

- You could use a better (smoother) controller,
  unless your objective is precisely to study
  the effect of the controller you used.

- You might want to reduce the simulation time step
  to reduce the oscillations.

Regards,

Michaël

Michaël Kummert

Solar Energy Laboratory - University of Wisconsin-Madison
1303 Engr Res Bldg, 1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Tel: +1 (608) 263-1589
Fax: +1 (608) 262-8464
E-mail: kummert@sel.me.wisc.edu