University of Wisconsin-Madison Skip navigationUW-Madison Home PageMy UW-MadisonSearch UW


SEL logo

Admission, Financial Aid, and Degree Requirements


The Graduate School Bulletin specifies the general admission requirements for graduate school. For study at the Solar Energy Laboratory, applicants must have a bachelor's degree in engineering or its physical science equivalent, have a strong undergraduate record and be admitted to either the mechanical or chemical engineering department. Three letters of recommendation are required. The GRE examination is recommended.

Financial Aid

Research assistantships are available for students during their course of study. The assistantships are usually on a half-time basis and provide financial support that is competitive with other major universities. An assistantship permits out-of-state students to pay in-state tuition.

Degree Requirements

Students receive their degrees in either mechanical or chemical engineering or engineering physics.

If you would like more information on graduate school at UW-Madison, click here.

Mechanical Engineering | UW Home